[Samba] winbindd crashing -- how to auto-heal?

Luca Olivetti luca at wetron.es
Mon Sep 3 15:12:12 UTC 2018

El 3/9/18 a les 17:05, Rowland Penny via samba ha escrit:

>> I didn't set this up, but I assume the sysadmins didn't run it because
>> they, like Luca, probably assumed that smbd was for server
>> functionality (to provide services to clients), whereas, AFAIK, our
>> hosts only act as clients. Could you explain how smbd fits into this
>> when the hosts are consuming remote services (but presumably not
>> providing any)?
>>

> I take it the 'sysadmins' are more used to administrating Windows, if
> so, just ask them if they would turn SMB off on a Windows PC.

I'm not used to administering windows, but I routinely do that: I
disable the "Sharing drives and printers to other computers" option,
which is the same as not running smbd on a unix client.

> Not really up to date with systemd (I do not use it), but I would
> remove '--foreground --no-process-group', this would allow winbind to
> run normally. I would also check the smbd service file, you need to
> the Samba binaries as deamons.

Where does the documentation say so? What I found, by reading the man
pages, is the reverse: smbd needs winbindd, winbindd doesn't need smbd.

Bye
--
Luca Olivetti
Tel. +34 93 5883004 (Ext.3010)  Fax +34 93 5883007