[Samba] winbindd crashing -- how to auto-heal?

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Sep 3 13:48:15 UTC 2018

On Mon, 3 Sep 2018 13:06:00 +0200
Luca Olivetti via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> El 3/9/18 a les 11:16, Rowland Penny via samba ha escrit:
>
> > Why isn't 'smbd' running ?
>
> I'm also *not* running smbd, that's because, according to
> https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/current/man-html/smbd.8.html, "smbd
> — server to provide SMB/CIFS services to clients".
> I'm not providing any SMB/CIFS service to clients.

Start smbd.

> > Is 'nmbd' running ?
>
> https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/current/man-html/nmbd.8.html
>
> "NetBIOS name server to provide NetBIOS over IP naming services to
> clients".
>
> I don't need that either.

You only need 'nmbd' if you want/need network browsing, so this is
optional.

> > Why aren't you running 'winbind' as a daemon ?
> > Why do feel you don't need a process group for winbind ?
>
> That doesn't apply here (it's running as a daemon, I didn't really
> investigated how my distro decided to start the service, as long as
> it starts I'm fine).

No you are not fine, something is stopping winbind, it is NOT crashing.
If it was running as a deamon, it would fork and whatever is killing
winbind would only kill the child, not the main deamon.

Please stop trying to be clever and run Samba as it is intended.

Rowland