[Samba] winbindd crashing -- how to auto-heal?

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Sun Sep 2 08:39:19 UTC 2018

On Sun, 2 Sep 2018 10:10:53 +0200
Luca Olivetti via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> El 2/9/18 a les 01:03, Luca Olivetti via samba ha escrit:
> > El 1/9/18 a les 03:03, Jamie Jackson via samba ha escrit:
> >> Hi folks,
> >>
> >> Every couple days any one of my project's 10 or so RHEL VMs can't
> >> be logged
> >> into with a domain account (active directory integration). Our
> >> admin goes in with a local account and restarts winbind to fix it.
> >>
> >> I'd like to be more proactive and, say, create a cron job to
> >> detect a problem and then restart winbind.
> >>
> >> Does anybody have a recipe for this? If not, do you have any
> >> suggestions as
> >> to how I can begin to figure out how to detect the problem?
> >
> > I run this cron job every minute. Winbind usually crashes once or
> > twice a day
> >
> > #!/bin/bash
> > getent group | grep -q 513 && exit 0
> > echo "restarting winbind"
> > systemctl restart winbind
>
> I forgot to say that for this script to work you need
>
> winbind enum users = yes
> winbind enum groups = yes
>

> in smb.conf and (I think) the backend must be ad with rfc2307
> attributes in the schema.
>
> Bye

Yes, you would have to be using the 'ad' backend to get '513' for
Domain Users. Why not just grep for 'Domain Users' ?

All of this is just a sticking plaster on the problem, if winbind is
crashing on a regular basis, we need to know this and will need
level 10 logs, debug info etc. Without this info, it will never get
fixed.

However, it may have already been fixed in a later version, so if you
can upgrade and use a version that isn't experimental (This means, do
not try to run a DC on red-hat using MIT)

Rowland