[Samba] WERR_DS_DOMAIN_RENAME_IN_PROGRESS - Join Failed

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Oct 31 08:37:08 UTC 2018

On Wed, 31 Oct 2018 11:10:43 +0300
Taner Tas via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to join a Samba 4.9.1 Debian Strech installation

Please define 'installation', do you mean that you have installed the
required Samba packages and have not provisioned or something else ?

>(also
> tested with 4.8.6) to a Windows 2012 R2 Server which runs in 2008-R2
> functional level. This is a production system and it is going to be
> first Samba DC in domain. There is currently two Windows DC's in
> domain. All FSMO roles hold by DC1.
>
> It seems there's something going on with Widows DC's bu I'm not able
> to the find the cause of the problem yet. Google search didn't help
> either.
>
> Any suggestion will be appreciated.
>
> # samba-tool domain join testdomain.tld DC --dns-backend=BIND9_DLZ
> --server=10.0.1.91 -U"TESTDOMAIN.TLD\Administrator"

Is your Windows domain actually called 'testdomain.tld' ?

I have never tried to join a Samba DC to a Windows 2012 DC (or
visa-versa), but there is a wikipage that says you need a 2008 DC in
the mix, see here:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Joining_a_Windows_Server_2012_/_2012_R2_DC_to_a_Samba_AD

Yes, I know it is about joining in the opposite direction to what you
are trying, but replication is a two way thing, so I suspect that what
will not work in one direction, will not work in the other direction
either (unless someone knows different)

Rowland