[Samba] change DNS backend

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Oct 30 16:30:37 UTC 2018

On Tue, 30 Oct 2018 17:08:40 +0100
Corrado Ravinetto via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hello all
> I did a classicupgrade in a test environment with a internal dns
> backend. Now i must change internal dns to use my dns server with
> powerdns, but my system administrator don't knows if is compatible
> with samba ad. I'm forced to use my production dns or can i use
> internal dns like in test environment ??
> I read
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Changing_the_DNS_Back_End_of_a_Samba_AD_DC
> but is not very clear for me
> How can i pass my environment in production without destroy all ??

First, what isn't clear about the wiki-page ?
Without feedback, we cannot improve the wiki.

As far as your Samba DC's are concerned, you can either use the
Samba internal dns server or Bind9. Whichever you use it must be
authoritative for the dns domain, anything outside the domain should be
forwarded to a dns server outside your Samba dns domain. If you
use Bind9, it must be run on the DC, to allow DLZ updates of the
data stored in AD. Anything else is not supported by Samba.

Rowland