[Samba] classicupgrade

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Oct 26 14:40:46 UTC 2018

On Fri, 26 Oct 2018 16:23:32 +0200
Corrado Ravinetto via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Il 26/10/2018 15:59, Rowland Penny via samba ha scritto:
> > Did you test the upgrade process in a separate network ?
> yes i have installed 2 new vm with centos 7 from dvd
> > Did you carry out the upgrade on the original PDC or on a new
> > computer ?
> i used 2 new computer with a fresh install and without samba
> > You say you compiled Samba yourself, was an earlier OS version of
> > Samba installed and if so, did you alter $PATH so your your new
> > Samba was found first ?
> no samba installed before
> > Did you check for duplicate SID's ?
> yes
> > Did you check if any of your users had a RID less than '1000' ?
> mmmmm
> > Did you check for usernames that were also being used as group
> > names.
> yes, i renamed all group with g_ because all old users had one group
> with same name
> >
> > If this was a new computer, did you transfer all the old databases
> > from the old PDC to the new computer ?
> yes i followed classciupgrade from wiki.samba.org
> > Did you run the upgrade as 'root' ?
> yes
> > Was the output from the upgrade similar to the example on the wiki
> > page, without errors ?
> yes
>
> if you want, i can destroy my domain and set up new one from scratch

The one question I didn't ask was, did your old PDC have users and
groups, but I think you answered that by saying you renamed the user
groups.
OK, two further ldbsearches:

ldbsearch -H ldap://$(hostname -s) -k yes -P
'(&(samaccountname=*)(uidNumber=*))' uidNumber | grep uidNumber | awk
'{print $NF}'

ldbsearch -H ldap://$(hostname -s) -k yes -P
'(&(samaccountname=*)(gidNumber=*))' gidNumber | grep gidNumber | awk
'{print $NF}'

They should both print a string of numbers, if either doesn't then
there is your problem, but why, is another question.

Rowland