[Samba] Error joining Samba 4.7.4 DC to existing Win2008R2 domain

Ing. Claudio Nicora claudio.nicora at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 06:36:42 UTC 2018

AFAIR I've fixed it by manually re-creating the missing
_msdcs.samdom.lan DNS zone.

I'm not referring to the _msdcs "subfolder" under the samdom.lan Forward
lookup zone; you must have a _msdcs.samdom.lan folder straight undef
"Forward Lookup Zones" in your DNS console.
If not, then create delete all _msdcs subfolders under your main domain
folder, then create a new "Forward zone" and name it _msdcs.samdom.lan
(obviously this must be replaced by your real domain name).
DNS console will do the rest and you'll find it automatically populated;
it will also recreate the "_msdcs" subfolder under main domain folder.

Once created, restart services and force nodes creation:

net stop netlogon
net start netlogon
nltest /dsregdns

Next, set samdom.lan replication (and its corresponding reverse zone) to
"All DNS servers in this DOMAIN", while _msdcs.samdom.lan replication to
"All DNS servers in this FOREST".

This worked for me (I was coming from a Windows 2000 upgraded domain).

Cheers
Claudio