[Samba] AD RODC not being used because of missing DNS entries?

tomict samba at iucn.nl
Sat Oct 20 15:04:20 UTC 2018

> OK, I have checked from Windows and my dns looks like this:
> DC2-|
>     |- Forward Lookup Zone
>        |- samdom.example.com

You have much more dc2 entries, I only have 4 from my manual additions. Your dns setup is the same as the setup that I had last year when testing with a second non-RODC Domain Controller.

BTW how did you make this tree view?

There seem to be two problems with my RODC  DC2:
1) DNS records were not generated when joining the domain. This is perhaps caused by some kind of timeout problem. However samba only complains about 4 records
2) manual addition of the "_msdcs" records resulted in a wrong path (see below)

I only have DC2 in the following locations on DC1 and DC2, and these resulted from my manual addition:

DC2-|
    |- Forward Lookup Zone
       |- samdom.example.com
       |  |- _sites
       |  |  |- Default-First-Site-Name
       |  |     |- _tcp
       |  |        |- _gc - dc1
       |  |        |- _ldap - dc1
       |  |        |- _ldap - dc2
       |  |        |- _kerberos - dc1
       |  |        |- _kerberos - dc2

I also seem to have a path that you do not have, I think also from my manual addition. I suppose mine is wrong

DC2-|
    |- Forward Lookup Zone
       |- samdom.example.com
       |  |- _msdcs
       |  |  |- dc
       |  |     |- _sites
       |  |        |- Default-First-Site-Name
       |  |           | - _tcp
       |  |               | - _ldap - dc2
       |  |               | - _kerberos - dc2

I tried :
# samba_updatedns --use-samba-tool --rpc-server-ip=ip.addr.of.dc1
but that resulted in 4 times:

ERROR(runtime): uncaught exception - (1383, 'WERR_INTERNAL_DB_ERROR')
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/samba/netcmd/__init__.py", line 176, in _run
    return self.run(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/samba/netcmd/dns.py", line 940, in run
    raise e

Tom