[Samba] Radius auth problem after DC update

Jiří František jiri.frant at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 13:00:18 UTC 2018

Hello list,
We were using two DC with 4.3.4 version of samba. Radius authentication
wont work after upgrade one of DC to version 4.6.7. Authentication is
working If winbind on radius server connects to DC with version 4.3.4.
I tried install new radius server following tutorial on
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Authenticating_Freeradius_against_Active_Directory
with
same result. Radius is working on DC with older version of samba.
I think that the problem will be somewhere in winbind on radius server.
If I want to test authentication with wbinfo I get following output:

wbinfo -a user%pass
plaintext password authentication failed
Could not authenticate user user%pass with plaintext password
challenge/response password authentication succeeded.

My smb.conf on radius server (samba 4.7.1, radiusd 3.0.13):
[global]
       security = ADS
       workgroup = DOMAIN
       realm = DOMAIN.LAN

       log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
       log level = 1
       ntlm auth = mschapv2-and-ntlmv2-only

       idmap config * : backend = tdb
       idmap config * : range = 3000-7999
       idmap config DOMAIN:backend = ad
       idmap config DOMAIN:schema_mode = rfc2307
       idmap config DOMAIN:range = 10000-999999
       idmap config DOMAIN:unix_nss_info = no
       template shell = /bin/bash
       template homedir = /home/%U

Why I have problem with radius authentication of users with newer version
of samba on DC?
Any reply will be appreciate.
Thank you