[Samba] Samba v3 works with LDAP, but not Samba v4

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Oct 18 07:38:16 UTC 2018

On Wed, 17 Oct 2018 16:45:08 -0700
Emil Henry via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hi Junior!
>
> Great info. I had set the DomainSID to the SID from the LDAP server a
> week or so ago, and that did not help. After your pointer, I then
> tried to set the LocalSID to the LDAP SID, but it did not hold. Did a
> Google search, and one suggestion was to add
>
> server role = classic backup domain controller
>
> to the smb.conf. This allowed me to do a "net SetLocalSID" to the SID
> from the LDAP server. and now everything seems to work. Now, I need
> to check, test and cleanup. Thank you for the details.

As I said earlier, if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it
probably is a duck and by adding that line, you have proved it is a
duck ;-)

Now you have caught up to about 15 years ago, can I suggest you browse
the internet about the problems with using an NT4-style domain with
Windows 10. I hope you will then realise that you have a major disaster
coming and then get together with the rest of your universities IT
dept and sort out the upgrade to Samba AD.

Rowland