[Samba] Samba v3 works with LDAP, but not Samba v4

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Oct 16 20:52:54 UTC 2018

On Tue, 16 Oct 2018 13:05:39 -0700
Emil Henry <hbcsc153 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Rowland!
>
> That did not work. Yes, that samba server can connect to the LDAP
> server.
>
> What is also interesting is that when I do a "testparm", I do get a
> "idmap config * : backend = tdb" in the output, even though I do not
> have that entry in the smb.conf.

Don't worry about that it is one of the default settings and will be
ignored by your set up.

What are you trying to connect from ?
Is this client using NTLMv1, this is now turned off by default.

The big problem here is that NT4-style domains aren't getting the love
they once did and it seems that changes made to make AD work better are
having a detrimental affect on them. It also doesn't help that
Microsoft (by accident or otherwise) is making similar changes.

I can only suggest you upgrade to AD.

Rowland