[Samba] Windows Server 2019 / Windows 10 LTSC can't access samba shares on Debian stable 4.5.12

Thomas Glanzmann thomas at glanzmann.de
Sat Oct 13 14:14:44 UTC 2018

Hello Rowland,

>         cache directory = /local/samba-config/common/cache
>         lock directory = /local/samba-config/common/lock
>         log file = /local/samba-config/common/log/%m
>         pid directory = /local/samba-config/common/pid
>         private dir = /local/samba-config/common/private
>         state directory = /local/samba-config/common/state

> You will note that the 'ntp signed' line has been removed, this is on
> purpose, it is only required on an AD DC.

thank you. That works, but there is one thing, I don't understand. In
the past there was a nmbd and smbd process. It seems that now only nmbd
is running, and if someone is connecting, smbd is spanned. Is that
correct?

Thanks to the feedback I have received by you and Andrew, samba is now
running on an unused ethernet interface. Thank you. However I still
can't access the windows share from the new windows versions, but I now
tried it from the cmd prompt and got a good error message:

> C:\Users\Thomas>net use \\10.109.0.1\tmp
> System error 1272 has occurred.

> You can't access this shared folder because your organization's security
> policies block unauthenticated guest access. These policies help protect
> your PC from unsafe or malicious devices on the network.

The error code lead me to:

https://superuser.com/questions/1280365/can-not-connect-to-share-system-error-1272
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4046019/guest-access-smb2-disabled-by-default-in-windows-10-server-2016
https://getadmx.com/?Category=Windows_10_2016&Policy=Microsoft.Policies.LanmanWorkstation::Pol_EnableInsecureGuestLogons

The following command resolved my issue:

Set-ItemProperty -Path "HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters" -Name "AllowInsecureGuestAuth" -Type DWord -Value 1

Afterwards it works. Also with the Debian Samba.

Cheers,
        Thomas