[Samba] backup of tdb files

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Oct 12 19:09:31 UTC 2018

On Fri, 2018-10-12 at 16:59 +0200, Philipp Gesang via samba wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>
> revisiting this subject once again because I seem to have reached
> an impass.
>
> -<| Quoting Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org>, on Monday, 2018-09-24 07:14:48 PM |>-

> > > Sounds promising. I’ll look into that.
>
> Right now I am using values obtained as follows:
>
> - hostname: get_global_sam_name()
>
> - local SID:
>   secrets_fetch_domain_sid (get_global_sam_name(), …)
>   == SECRETS/SID/CLIENTNAME in tdb
>
> - domain SID:
>   secrets_fetch_domain_sid (lp_workgroup(), …)
>   == SECRETS/SID/WORKGROUPNAME
>
> - domain member password:
>   secrets_fetch_machine_password(lp_workgroup(), …)
>   == SECRETS/MACHINE_DOMAIN_INFO/WORKGROUPNAME
>
> This approach works well with a manually joined AD member but not
> with any of the blackbox testsuites. In the secrets.tdb used
> during tests I find only the domain SID (e. g. SECRETS/SID/CHDCDOMAIN)
> but not the machine sid (probably SECRETS/SID/CLIENT).
>
> How come that machine sid is absent in the tests? Is there
> another means of retrieving it?

This is due to the test environment you are running in.  If you ran it
in ad_member:local it would be there.

The 'client' environment (where you don't specify a :local) is used,
without the server's smb.conf or files, and doens't have a local SID.

Also, it is only set when a source3 passdb operation happens, so AD DC
client stuff won't trigger it (for historical reasons).

I hope this helps,

Andrew Bartlett