[Samba] backup of tdb files

Philipp Gesang philipp.gesang at intra2net.com
Fri Oct 12 14:59:28 UTC 2018

Hi Andrew,

revisiting this subject once again because I seem to have reached
an impass.

-<| Quoting Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org>, on Monday, 2018-09-24 07:14:48 PM |>-
> On Mon, 2018-09-24 at 09:06 +0200, Philipp Gesang wrote:
> > > A long time ago I posted a script to dump the machine password to
> > > stdout for the benifit of an 802.1x client, but it never had tests
> > > so
> > > didn't get in.
> > >
> > > I could see JSON working well for this also.  Perhaps extend either
> > > samba-tool or net to print out the domain SID, local SID, domain
> > > member password and hostname?
> > Sounds promising. I’ll look into that.

Right now I am using values obtained as follows:

- hostname: get_global_sam_name()

- local SID:
  secrets_fetch_domain_sid (get_global_sam_name(), …)
  == SECRETS/SID/CLIENTNAME in tdb

- domain SID:
  secrets_fetch_domain_sid (lp_workgroup(), …)
  == SECRETS/SID/WORKGROUPNAME

- domain member password:
  secrets_fetch_machine_password(lp_workgroup(), …)
  == SECRETS/MACHINE_DOMAIN_INFO/WORKGROUPNAME

This approach works well with a manually joined AD member but not
with any of the blackbox testsuites. In the secrets.tdb used
during tests I find only the domain SID (e. g. SECRETS/SID/CHDCDOMAIN)
but not the machine sid (probably SECRETS/SID/CLIENT).

How come that machine sid is absent in the tests? Is there
another means of retrieving it?

Thank you and enjoy the weekend,
Philipp