[Samba] NT-Domain - Can I use LDAP?

Luke Barone lukebarone at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 19:55:13 UTC 2018

We are using Samba4 in NT mode. We have an application that can pull
usernames - great! What we need as well though is to import other fields
saved in Samba for the users. For example, Email Address, and Full Name.

Is it possible, without causing interruption to service, to connect with an
LDAP query string to get this information, if it is not already setup for
LDAP?

I am running on Debian Stretch, Samba version 4.5.12 from the Debian repos.

Server role: ROLE_DOMAIN_PDC

# Global parameters
[global]
        bind interfaces only = Yes
        interfaces = eth0 127.0.0.1
        netbios name = SAMBA
        server string = ""
        workgroup = EXAMPLE
        domain master = Yes
        preferred master = Yes
        add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /var/lib/nobody -g 100 -s
/bin/false -M %u
        domain logons = Yes
        logon drive = h:
        logon script = login.bat
        name resolve order = wins host bcast
        unix extensions = No
        check password script = /usr/local/sbin/complex_PW_check
        pam password change = Yes
        passwd chat = *new*password* %n\n *new*password* %n\n *updated*
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        security = USER
        unix password sync = Yes
        wins support = Yes