[Samba] Domain Administrator and shares problems

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Thu Oct 11 08:55:21 UTC 2018

Hai Peter,

Good to hear its fixed.

> Hi Louis and Rowland,
>
> A big thank you for pushing me to continue this. Thanks to your help,
> things are working as they should, and that one would expect. For the
> curious, the final smb.conf for the Samba member server is below this
> message.
>
> What I did, was to implement the smb.conf I got from Rowland. As I do
> not want *any* Samba users logging on with ssh, the template
> homedir =
> /dev/null, and template shell = /bin/nologin.

The other option is, setup a group in windows give it a GID and put the group in ssh.
For example i use it 3 ways, like this:
AllowGroups sftp-customer servers-ssh sshgroup
I use MySecureShell for my SFTP users, and these must exist in the sftp-customers group. ( a windows group with GID )
The servers-ssh is use to allow logins.
The sshgroup is the backup group with only linux members in them, admins only.
Working like that you can control everything from within the AD.

Your option also works, in case you want to enable it, you need to adjust the smb.conf.
I only add a user to a group.

Think whats best for you, you deside.

> After that, I created the /data/samba/profiles directory, set the
> ownership, and permissions according to Louis' instructions above. I
> also checked up and made sure that only BUILTIN\Administrators
> SeDiskOperatorPrivilege, SeSecurityPrivilege, and
> SeTakeOwnershipPrivilege had got those privileges set. Domain Admins
> inherit this from BUILTIN\Administrators, so there is no point in
> setting this for Domain Admins.
>
> The rest was made through Windows Computer Management.
>
> What is different from the Samba Wiki, is the default share
> permission.
> It's set to Everyone with full privileges. It definitely has got
> implications, if something else is set (probably for the worse).

You have 2-3 options here to setup.
- Use everyone. Restricting the folder rights is key here to protect you network.
- Setup with "authenticated users" , you need more groups and you might to change (default) GPO settings.
- Only custom groups, same as authenticated users but more todo.

Best tip here is, just setup as windows does, then it just works. ( keep everyone )

> Further on, in the security tab, everything was setup
> according to the
> Wiki. Testing the share, it behaves exactly as expected.
> After that, I
> assigned roaming profiles to a couple of users through the
> Profile tab
> in the ADUC tool (\\smbtest\Profiles$\<username>). Worked
> according to
> the book. The profile folder is not displayed when browsing
> the server
> (the $ sign), and if it's an advanced user who knows the
> trick with the
> $-sign, no other folder than the user's own profile folder is
> displayed.

You can use: browseable = no also.
That hides the share and no need for the $.
This might help if you have cifs connections and scripting things.

> Profiles are correctly created, retrieved and stored at logon
> and logoff.
>
> When checking the folders, all ownerships are set correctly. There is
> just one crucial point, however. Always keep the default share owner
> (unix root). Never mix in the Administrator account in the shares. At
> least in my setup, it seems Samba sometimes uses Administrator, and
> sometimes root when setting ownership, and permissions. Stick to root
> keeping ownership of the share.

I can suggest even a few extra tips.

Create a new user : Admin, add him on to the domain admins, and give him a UID
Set as the normal Administrator and now use only Admin.
Done and now you never encounter the root/Administrator problems.

I follow these few rules.
I use Administrator for my windows management things on only one pc. DNS RSAT GPOS etc.
	Why, because of username map = /etc/samba/user.map.
	More explained, Administrator is mapped to root (vicaversa) and on linux you need root not admin.

I use Admin for regular thing to manage pc's printers etc.
	do note, due to above this account cannot mananage linux, or you need to add the mapping. I have separated that.
	If you add the mapping, dont forget the SePrivileges and the assigned users/groups with that.

I never use root, and it has login disable.

> Thanks a lot to those who have contributed to the success! Great work!
>
> Best regards,
>
> Peter

Your welkom,

Greetz,,,