[Samba] Samba server fails to save settings

Markus Dellermann saml at use.startmail.com
Thu Oct 11 08:06:23 UTC 2018

Am Donnerstag, 11. Oktober 2018, 09:22:17 CEST schrieb Rowland Penny via
samba:
> On Wed, 10 Oct 2018 22:38:10 +0100
>
> Aref Taidi via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
> > I just want to create some directory shares so that I can access them
> > through my MS windows 7 PC.
> >
> > I have done this many time in the past using earlier versions of
> > OpenSuse using Gnome, this time it is KDE.
>
> OK, if you don't want to use an editor to add the share and then reload
> Samba, you need to ask OpenSuse why its package doesn't work.
>
> Samba used to supply SWAT, but this was removed some years ago because
> of numerous problems, this was the only GUI tool that Samba has ever
> supplied. All other GUI tools are supplied by third parties and are
> nothing to do with Samba, so for problems with these third party tools,
> you need to contact the third party, which in this case is OpenSuse.
>
> Rowland

additional some words from an old yast user in bad english ;)
Please try to make a bug report.
https://bugzilla.opensuse.org/index.cgi
or try yast on leap.
yast - if it works- can be a good help to generate a simple working smb.conf.
But if you need some specials it`s better to type them by hand.
In the end it`s imho easier and sustainable  to edit /etc/samba/smb.conf
This file is already there and documented.
Here is also a good starting-point:
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_Samba_as_a_Standalone_Server
If you have questions you can always post here and get very helpfull tips and
learn wat is going on..
As Rowland already pointed out its the best way, to get a really working and
actual supported config

Good luck!

Markus