[Samba] Domain Administrator and shares problems

Christian Naumer cn at brain-biotech.de
Wed Oct 10 08:43:19 UTC 2018

Am 10.10.18 um 10:27 schrieb Peter Milesson via samba:

> [...]
>>> probably scrapping the NT1 protocol in the immediate future.
>>> Slackware had very quirky support for LDAP, and pam integration
>>> impossible, making any kind of AD stuff extremely tricky. But the
>>> recent Samba versions have got most of the parts that were missing
>>> from Slackware built in. So I'll give it a try, but in a few weeks
>>> time.
>> There is a GUY who posts on here regularly who uses Slackware, he is
>> probably one you need here.
>>
>> However, if you are considering a different OS, how about Debian (or
>> Devuan), you could the use Louis's packages and get the most up to date
>> Samba versions.
>>
>>> Until then...
>>>
>> I will sort out my notes and send you a copy, I feel you must have a
>> simple mistake that is causing your problem.
>>
>> Rowland
>
> Hi Rowland,
>
> I tried Debian as Samba member server as a test a few days ago.
> Functionally no difference to CentOS. So I just continued with CentOS
> for the production server.
>
> About my problems. I follow the instructions for setting up a share.
> This time I assigned myself as a testuser to the Domain Admins group,
> and after that, there is no way to get any further. In the shares list,
> the Domain Users, and Domain Admins groups are displayed. Switching over
> to the security tab, different groups and users are displayed. Yes, they
> are displayed, which would be considered a great step forward. But
> trying to change anything there it just don't work. It just complains
> that I have got insufficient permissons to make any changes. Any changes
> at all.
>
> The folder looks the following:
>
> ls -al
> total 12
> drwxr-xr-x. 3 root root          4096 Oct  9 15:55 .
> drwxr-xr-x. 3 root root          4096 Oct  9 15:54 ..
> drwxr-xr-x. 2 root domain admins 4096 Oct  9 15:55 wandafishand
>
> getfacl wandafish
> # file: wandafish
> # owner: root
> # group: domain\040admins
> user::rwx
> group::r-x
> other::r-x
>

> Having the "wrong" users or groups in the share tab, gives a blank
> security tab. On the production server group Everyone with full
> permissions is required, otherwise the security tab does not show up. In
> my test environment, I assigned myself to the Domain Admins group. After
> that I really don't get anywhere.
>
> As I told you, I will put it on ice for a few weeks, and consider
> alternatives. IMHO, the choice of OS probably plays a big role here.
> CentOS has got far too much stuff running in the background, interfering
> if it considers necessary. Even with SeLinux and the firewall disabled.
> I need to have something with better control of the running processes.
> Slackware has precisely got that. I'll report back.

It looks like you gave Domain Admins a gid. This is considered a bad
idea as the group needs to own files on the DC in Sysvol. Rowland works
around this by creating a group Unix Admins and adds this group to the
Domain Admins group. This way you can work on the filesystem with "unix
Admins" (which has a gid) and still have the privileges of Domain Admins.
In our setup (also classic upgraded) I try to avoid Administrator and
Domain Admins in file security operations. Have you tried using a
"normal" group giving this the rights you want on the cli and tried to
set security i´on Windows with a user in that group?

Regards

Christian

--
Dr. Christian Naumer
Research Scientist

B.R.A.I.N Aktiengesellschaft
Darmstaedter Str. 34-36, D-64673 Zwingenberg
e-mail cn at brain-biotech.de, homepage www.brain-biotech.de
fon +49-6251-9331-30  /   fax +49-6251-9331-11

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Zwingenberg/Bergstrasse
Registergericht AG Darmstadt, HRB 24758
Vorstand: Dr. Juergen Eck (Vorsitzender), Frank Goebel
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Dr. Ludger Mueller