[Samba] getent passwd no domainusers

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Sat Oct 6 15:40:32 UTC 2018

On Sat, 6 Oct 2018 17:15:01 +0200
basti mueller via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just want to add a linux machine to my samba 4 ad. Its a debian
> stretch and I installed the  following packages:apt-get install
> winbind libpam-winbind libnss-winbind libpam-krb5 krb5-config
> krb5-user samba attr ...  My machine-configs:
>
> nsswitch.conf:

> hosts: files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns myhostname

Only change I would make to nsswitch.conf would be the above line:

hosts: files dns

> smb.conf:
> [global]

> winbind nss info = rfc2307
> winbind nss info = rfc2307
> idmap config * : backend = tdb
> idmap config * : range = 3000-7999
> idmap config EXAMPLE : backend = ad
> idmap config EXAMPLE : schema_mode = rfc2307
> idmap config EXAMPLE : range = 10000-999999

What version of Samba ?
If it is >= 4.6.0 then the above lines are wrong:
Remove the 'winbind nss info' lines (you shouldn't have two a two even
if you are using the default 4.5.12)

Add:
idmap config EXAMPLE : unix_nss_info = yes

> BUT getent passwd is only show my local users... not my domain users..
>
> What could be the reason for that?

Finally, does 'Domain Users' have a gidNumber ?

Rowland