[Samba] Rename domain

Philippe Maladjian pmaladjian at hilaire.fr
Wed Oct 3 14:54:02 UTC 2018

*Philippe MALADJIAN
Responsable informatique | administrateur système*
Ligne directe : +33 (0)4 72 14 50 66 | pmaladjian at hilaire.fr
<mailto:pmaladjian at hilaire.fr>

Le 03/10/2018 à 16:33, Rowland Penny via samba a écrit :
> On Wed, 3 Oct 2018 16:01:33 +0200
> Philippe Maladjian via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>
>> Hello, I realize the preparation of the migration from samba 3 to
>> samba 4. For the moment the test platform is functional at 80%.
>>
>> I realize a problem. At the implementation of samba 3 in NT mode
>> (more than 10 years ago) I chose netbios name dom.masociete and the
>> same DNS domain name.
> Even then, a dot in a workgroup name wasn't recommended.

That's what I notice from reading but there are 10 I was a beginner ;)

>> With the migration the domain dns becomes "dom"
>> and according to my first researches I will quickly encounter
>> problems if I need subdomain in the future. The ideal would be that I
>> rename my domain in mycompany.local
> No, the ideal would be to use virtually anything but '.local'

masociete.lan?

>> knowing that our Internet domain
>> name is mycompany.fr but it is not us who manage it.
>>
>> I saw that with the arrival of the 4.9.x it is possible to rename a
>> domain, but is it feasible in my case? If yes, once the domain is
>> renamed, will I have to go out and add the existing machines in the
>> domain?
> This is so new, I am not sure, but I believe it would, you will have
> to change the DNS domain on all the machines, unless it is set by DHCP.
>
> It might just be easier and better to set up a new domain ;-)

At dhcp level I have as configuration

----------

option domain-search code 119 = text;
option wpad code 252 = text;
  option domain-name "dom.masociete";
option domain-search "\003dom\007masociete\000";
option wpad "\n";

but I do not see how dhcp could impose windows pc to use another domain
to connect?
When I add a machine to the domain I go through the machine's bone and
change the "Member of" setting as in this picture:
https://s10629.pcdn.co/wp-content/pictures/2009/11/joindomainwindows7.png

Philippe.