[Samba] Rename domain

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Oct 3 14:33:33 UTC 2018

On Wed, 3 Oct 2018 16:01:33 +0200
Philippe Maladjian via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hello, I realize the preparation of the migration from samba 3 to
> samba 4. For the moment the test platform is functional at 80%.
>
> I realize a problem. At the implementation of samba 3 in NT mode
> (more than 10 years ago) I chose netbios name dom.masociete and the
> same DNS domain name.

Even then, a dot in a workgroup name wasn't recommended.

>With the migration the domain dns becomes "dom"
> and according to my first researches I will quickly encounter
> problems if I need subdomain in the future. The ideal would be that I
> rename my domain in mycompany.local

No, the ideal would be to use virtually anything but '.local'

>knowing that our Internet domain
> name is mycompany.fr but it is not us who manage it.
>
> I saw that with the arrival of the 4.9.x it is possible to rename a
> domain, but is it feasible in my case? If yes, once the domain is
> renamed, will I have to go out and add the existing machines in the
> domain?

This is so new, I am not sure, but I believe it would, you will have
to change the DNS domain on all the machines, unless it is set by DHCP.

It might just be easier and better to set up a new domain ;-)

Rowland