[Samba] getent not showing domain users and groups with winbind but works with sssd

Peter Milesson miles at atmos.eu
Tue Oct 2 10:40:19 UTC 2018

> On Mon, 1 Oct 2018 19:28:29 +0200
> Peter Milesson via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi Louis and Rowland,
>>
>> I'm just reporting back on this, in case it may help somebody else.
>>
>> Getting a working getent (or id) under the current version of CentOS
>> with winbind just doesn't seems possible. I haven't got a clue where
>> the problem is. I have tried the suggestions, I did a clean
>> installation, and built Samba myself from source, but no way.
>> Installing sssd, a few lines of configuration, disabling winbind, and
>> it just works. I just want to stress, that the problems I have had
>> getting the Samba domain member to work, are most probably
>> CentOS-related.
>>
>> Unfortunately, I must leave it at this point, as I have spent way too
>> much time already. At least I'm glad that I didn't upgrade the
>> production server directly, and instead spent time trying to get
>> things to work in the test environment. Otherwise there would have
>> been tar and feathers at noon today.
>>
>> A sincere thank you for your time and suggestions.
>>
> OK, it is your decision (and I don't blame you for your choice) to use
> sssd, but I feel I should point out that using wimbind does work on
> Centos 7.1.
>
> I had Centos 7 in a VM, so I started it, updated it and installed the
> centos Samba packages (by the way, who thought that it was a good idea
> to call 'winbind' 'samba-winbind' ?). Installed a copy of a known
> working smb.conf from a Devuan machine. I should mention that the
> Centos VM was previously running a compiled version Samba, so
> most of the set up was already done (This set up was based on what I do
> for Devuan).
>
> And........
>
> [root at cen1804 ~]# getent passwd rowland
> rowland:*:10000:10000:Rowland Penny:/home/rowland:/bin/bash
>
> [root at cen1804 ~]# getent group domain\ users
> domain users:x:10000:......long list of users
>
> There is undoubtedly something different between your setup and mine.
>
> Rowland

Hi Rowland,

Now I'm bothering you with getent and winbind again.

I got winbind working. Sort of. It turned out to be that the
libwbclient.so library wasn't registered with ld.so.conf.

What happens now is, that some users and groups are listed when I run
getent. I guess that it may be due to some cache files still containing
residue. Any suggestions?

Best regards,

Peter