[Samba] getent not showing domain users and groups with winbind but works with sssd

Peter Milesson miles at atmos.eu
Mon Oct 1 11:28:29 UTC 2018

> On Mon, 1 Oct 2018 12:13:58 +0200
> Peter Milesson <miles at atmos.eu> wrote:
>
>>> You are now hitting a bug in 4.9.1 that was discovered last week by
>>> Louis Van Belle. It seems to be an interaction between Samba and
>>> systemd, I say this because it doesn't affect me on Devuan.
>>>
>>> Rowland
>> Hi Rowland,
>>
>> I'm using the standard CentOS Samba packages. The current Samba
>> version is 4.7.1. The server is 4.9.1, however.
>>
> Hmm, I wonder if this has been going on for sometime ?
>
> As I said, I don't get this error and the Samba daemons are started in
> this order:
> smbd
> nmbd
> winbind
>
>  From the debian bug report by Louis, there is this
> in /lib/systemd/system/smbd.service:
>
> After=network.target network-online.target nmbd.service winbind.service
>
> Which from my (limited) knowledge of systemd, means 'smbd' will only be
> started after 'nmbd' & 'winbind'. This, in my opinion, is totally wrong.
>
> If your version of the file is the same, try removing 'winbind.service'
> and see if this helps.
>
> Rowland

Hi Rowland,

Order does not seem to be important. I have tried to start the daemons
manually in different order. Does not help.

As the self compiled AD DC works beautifully, I'll wipe the installation
and compile Samba myself from the 4.9.1 sources. Being lazy and
installing what's thrown at you evidently didn't pay off in this case.

Thanks for your help anyway.

I wish you a nice day,

Peter