[Samba] Extensive debugging available for Samba and client on Mac OS?

David Roth davidalanroth at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 19:26:58 UTC 2018

I'm having some issues with Macintosh users being unexpectedly prompted to
access files on Samba they created and own. I've not been able to determine
a pattern for this. I don't know if this is a Macintosh problem or a Samba
problem, or both. So I'd like to be able to enable more extensive debugging
on the Samba server and if possible on the Macintosh, so I can see if there
are any error messages or warnings as to why users are being prompted for
login when they are authorized to access the Samba share.

I don't see anything in the logs for Samba on the server that shows
attempted user logins or problems. Is this possible to enable? Might there
be a log for Samba client to view on the Macintosh itself? I'm not looking
for a flood of debugging data, but enough to get an answer as to why
Macintosh users are having this problem.

I have considered adding "force" in the Samba configuration file, but I'm
not sure what would work and I don't want to mask something which might be
a more serious problem such as a bug that needed to be reported. At the
very least I hope to learn more about this situation.

Thanks!

David