[Samba] testing upgrades in containers?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Nov 27 20:16:06 UTC 2018

On Tue, 2018-11-27 at 21:05 +0100, Reindl Harald via samba wrote:
> Am 27.11.18 um 21:00 schrieb Stefan G. Weichinger via samba:
> > While I wait for upgrading 2 customers from 4.8.6 to 4.9.x (hesitating
> > not to break things) and checking the list for Louis publishing the
> > 4.8.7 stretch packages ... ;-) - thanks, Louis!! - I once again wonder
> > how to optimize these updates and minimize the risk of breaking things.
> >
> > One thought is to add a test DC to my ADS/samba-domains, running in a
> > docker container, testing the upgrade there and throw away the container
> > when things are done etc
> >
> > Does anyone do that?
> >
> > I know I already asked that here in september (feels as if it was way
> > earlier):
> >
> > https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2018-September/217906.html
> >
> > Maybe I set up a 4.8.6 container and test the upgrading in there.
> >
> > Feedback welcome
>

> why don't you just use real virtual machines?
>
> * clone
> * test

Because if it connects to the network there will be chaos.

> * throw away the old one
>
> and/or play around with all sort of snaphsot-versions?
>
> after a decade running anything in full virtualization i don't get
> bare-metal where the first step is not install whatever hypervisor and
> be it only for hot-migration to new hardware while you get proper
> backups and snapshots "for free"

Samba 4.9 can back up an existing domain and restore it with a new name
to test in the lab.  This is the safe way to test upgrades, which
should in general be done on a join/demote basis not in-place if at all
possible.

Andrew Bartlett

--
Andrew Bartlett