[Samba] testing upgrades in containers?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Tue Nov 27 20:05:04 UTC 2018

Am 27.11.18 um 21:00 schrieb Stefan G. Weichinger via samba:
> While I wait for upgrading 2 customers from 4.8.6 to 4.9.x (hesitating
> not to break things) and checking the list for Louis publishing the
> 4.8.7 stretch packages ... ;-) - thanks, Louis!! - I once again wonder
> how to optimize these updates and minimize the risk of breaking things.
>
> One thought is to add a test DC to my ADS/samba-domains, running in a
> docker container, testing the upgrade there and throw away the container
> when things are done etc
>
> Does anyone do that?
>
> I know I already asked that here in september (feels as if it was way
> earlier):
>
> https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2018-September/217906.html
>
> Maybe I set up a 4.8.6 container and test the upgrading in there.
>
> Feedback welcome

why don't you just use real virtual machines?

* clone
* test
* throw away the old one

and/or play around with all sort of snaphsot-versions?

after a decade running anything in full virtualization i don't get
bare-metal where the first step is not install whatever hypervisor and
be it only for hot-migration to new hardware while you get proper
backups and snapshots "for free"