[Samba] Setup a Samba AD DC as an additional DC

Barry D. Adkins Barry at daram.com
Mon Nov 26 18:17:32 UTC 2018

>>Very strange, it looks like it is trying to add a dns record to a zone that doesn't exist, does the Windows DC you are using to join to the domain run a dns server ?
>
>Yes it is.

>I noticed this in the AD for Directory Partitions:
>DC=ForestDnsZones,DC=daram,DC=com >> Distinguished name:  CN=af689faa-6daa-4fa6-b958-c7da71d654c3,CN=Partitions,CN=Configuration,DC=daram,DC=com
>DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=daram,DC=com >> Distinguished name:  CN=f88d9aed-f398-4a38-8488-7b165c9cbd9d,CN=Partitions,CN=Configuration,DC=daram,DC=com
>
>I've been searching to see if this is normal, and if not, how to "fix" it.

To keep the record straight.  This is absolutely how Microsoft stores AD DNS Integration post Windows 2000.  MS DCs do not replicate this portion of the directory.  The DNS servers subscribe to it so that only servers that need the information get the replication traffic.  This supposedly saved traffic on GCs.

Barry Adkins