[Samba] Replace AD DC FS with 2 new servers

Mark Amundsen amundsmark at mail.com
Mon Nov 26 16:27:29 UTC 2018

> > Is 'idmap rid' a better choice than ad? Can I still copy files with
> > rsync in that case or will file ownership be mangled?
>
> Quantify better ?
> One isn't really better than the other, they are both usable, but in
> different ways and reasons.
> It might help if you read this:
>
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_Samba_as_a_Domain_Member

I've read it several times, but i start to think that I simply don't understand the concepts.

The old server does not have idmap config in the smb.conf (because it is a DC, right?).

If I ls a file in the old fileserver, it looks like this:

-rwxrwx---+ 1 3000148 users  31M sep 19 15:16 10160-101.zip

So, 3000248 is a UID.

If I use winbind 'rid' backend and copy the file above to the new server with rsync
it will keep 3000148 as owner, but will 3000148 be connected to the same login on both servers?

I think that I'll just add a testserver to find out how it works.

[global]
       security = ADS
       workgroup = SAMDOM
       realm = SAMDOM.EXAMPLE.COM

       log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
       log level = 1
       idmap config * : backend = tdb
       idmap config * : range = 3000-7999
       idmap config SAMDOM : backend = rid
       idmap config SAMDOM : range = 3000000-3999999

Will that do (but replace SAMDOM with my realm)?

-Mark-