[Samba] NTLM protocol question

Markus Moeller huaraz at moeller.plus.com
Sat Nov 24 20:51:07 UTC 2018

Hi Samba team,

    Could someone point me to a documentation which describes which NTLM flag combination in type 1 & 2 create which type 3 response. As far as I read MS has the following client/DC configuration combinations.

      Send LM & NTLM responses Clients use LM and NTLM authentication, and never use NTLMv2 session security;
     DCs accept LM, NTLM, and NTLMv2 authentication.
      Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated Clients use LM and NTLM authentication, and use NTLMv2 session security if server supports it;
     DCs accept LM, NTLM, and NTLMv2 authentication.
      Send NTLM response only Clients use NTLM authentication only, and use NTLMv2 session security if server supports it;
     DCs accept LM, NTLM, and NTLMv2 authentication.
      Send NTLMv2 response only Clients use NTLMv2 authentication only, and use NTLMv2 session security if server supports it;
     DCs accept LM, NTLM, and NTLMv2 authentication.
      Send NTLMv2 response only\refuse LM Clients use NTLMv2 authentication only, and use NTLMv2 session security if server supports it;
     DCs refuse LM (accept only NTLM and NTLMv2 authentication).
      Send NTLMv2 response only\refuse LM & NTLM Clients use NTLMv2 authentication only, and use NTLMv2 session security if server supports it;
     DCs refuse LM and NTLM (accept only NTLMv2 authentication).

but I can’t find a clear relation to the flags used during the NTLM type 1 & 2 exchange e.g. which of the flags need to be set in type 2 in particular to determine the response in type 3.

e.g. does DCs refuse LM (accept only NTLM and NTLMv2 authentication). mean Negotiate Lan Manager Key = 0, Negotiate NTLM key = 1 and Negotiate Extended Security = 1

      Negotiate 56
      Negotiate Key Exchange
      Negotiate 128
      Negotiate 0x10000000