[Samba] NTP strangeness...

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Thu Nov 22 11:17:35 UTC 2018

Hi Marco,

As far i can see here.

Are all your ADDC servers set to the same source NTP ( preffered a stratum 1 or 2 ) server. ( and not pool ntp sources )
Because below i see stratum 4 and stratum 3 servers and a timeout on one server.

When i look at this.
> C:\Users\gaio>w32tm /query /peers
>  N. peer: 1
>  Peer: vdcpp2.ad.fvg.lnf.it
>  Stato: Attivo
>  Tempo rimanente: 914.2880000s
>  Modalità: 3 (Client)
>  Strato: 0 (non specificato)
>  PeerIntervallo di polling: 0 (non specificato)
>  HostIntervallo di polling: 10 (1024s)

Strato: o (non specificato)
PeerIntervallo di polling: 0 (non specificato)

Here im really expecting something else.
I see stratum 2
PeerPoll interval of 13.
HostPool Interval of 14

Did you change something for your time in windows, because thats not needed.
I use the windows defaults, so no changes are made.
For the linux clients, i switched to systemd-timesyncd, but regular ntp should work fine, but ..
Make sure they point to the correct time source. ( only the AD DC's with optional one of the same ADDC time source servers.

Go through your time settings. Start with the AD's, make sure these are set all the same.

Greetz,

Louis