[Samba] Testparm CUPS warning

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Nov 21 11:02:31 UTC 2018

On Wed, 21 Nov 2018 11:32:37 +0100
Micha Ballmann via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> today i upgrade my printserver from samba 4.8.6 to 4.9.2 (ubuntu
> 18.04). First, all is working correctly. But whe im typing "testparm"
> now the following warnings are shown:
>
> ##############
>
> Loaded services file OK.
>
> Warning: Service printers defines a print command, but parameter is
> ignored when using CUPS libraries.
>
> [global]
>
> print
> command=/home/papercut/providers/print/linux-x64/samba-print-provider
> -u "%u" -J "%J" -h "%h" -m "%m" -p "%p" -s "%s" -a "[standard print
> command]" &
>

> *Yes the printserver also runs CUPS. But  i dont understand the
> message. Do i need to do something or can ignore this?*

Perhaps this extract from 'man smb.conf' will help:

           For printing = CUPS : If SAMBA is compiled against libcups, then
           printcap = cups uses the CUPS API to submit jobs, etc. Otherwise it
           maps to the System V commands with the -oraw option for printing,
           i.e. it uses lp -c -d%p -oraw; rm %s. With printing = cups, and if
           SAMBA is compiled against libcups, any manually set print command
           will be ignored.

The last line says it all, you might as well remove the 'print command'
line, it is being ignored.

Rowland