[Samba] Setup a Samba AD DC as an additional DC

Barry D. Adkins Barry at daram.com
Wed Nov 21 10:22:21 UTC 2018

I've installed these packages:

apt-get install samba winbind libnss-winbind libpam-winbind libpam-krb5 krb5-config

Installing on fresh Ubuntu 18.04 server

Nothing is configured yet as following the wikis you come to the DNS configuration before you get to configuring Samba stuff.

Wiki states: If you are planning to set up a Samba Active Directory (AD) domain controller (DC) using the BIND9_DLZ back end, you have to install and configure the BIND DNS server first.

And :  By default, the first Domain Controller (DC) in a forest runs a DNS server for Active Directory (AD)-based zones. For failover reasons it is recommended to run multiple DCs acting as a DNS server in a network. If you consider providing a DNS service on the new DC:
?  For the BIND9_DLZ back end, see BIND9_DLZ DNS Back End<https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/BIND9_DLZ_DNS_Back_End>. Finish this task before you start the Samba DC service.

I really didn't want to tackle this now but I will as eventually all the Windows Servers will go away.  I had hoped to migrate things one by one.

I have embarked on learning bind, bind9, etc. now noting all the numerous details I must follow on wikis to get that going.  I am wondering is the DNS on the Samba AD DC going to get all the DNS entries from the Windows AD DNS servers?  I suppose I'll also setup the Samba AD DC as the DHCP server as that doesn't seem so difficult.

Barry Adkins