[Samba] Samba4 shares slow

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Nov 21 09:13:46 UTC 2018

On Wed, 21 Nov 2018 09:34:45 +0100
Julien TEHERY via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hi there
>
> I set up a POC domain with multiple DCs, multiple remote sites and
> samba shares. This POC is a simulation of a whole samba3 domain
> migration. Users, and groups have been imported from the older domain
> to the new one.
>
> Here's the setup:
> ("Remote sites" are actually different subnets on the same location
> for the POC)

I take it 'POC' = Proof Of Concept

> *Main Site*:
> DC1 (RHEL7 - samba 4.6.4)

Where did you get the Samba 4.6.4 packages from, they cannot be the
standard RHEL7 ones, as you cannot provision an AD DC using the standard
RHEL Samba packages.

> DC2 (RHEL7 - samba 4.6.4)
> DC3 (RHEL7 - samba 4.6.4)
> SMB1 (Ubuntu 14 - samba 4.3.11+dfsg-0ubuntu0.14.04.14)

Why have you used Ubuntu 14.04 ?
Not knocking Ubuntu here, but 14.04 goes EOL next April and Samba 4.3.x
is already EOL as far as Samba is concerned.

> Here is the thing:
>
> If I try to access to an SMB1 share: absolutely no problem (fast
> access, no acls problems)
> If I try to access to an SMB2 or SMB3 share from a win7 client:
> access is ok but extremely slow (acls are fine too)
> Same access to SMB2 or SMB3 with smbclient is fine.
>
> So..what can cause the win7 client to be very slow with only SMB2 and
> SMB3 ?

I have no idea, please post the smb.conf from the Ubuntu machines.
I would also urge you to upgrade from 14.04 to 18.04, this will get you
a Samba 4.7.x version and you could then use Louis Van Belle's repo,
which would get you 4.9.2

Your problem could be being caused by your old versions of Samba.

Rowland