[Samba] Lightweight build of smbclient only

Craig McQueen craig.mcqueen at innerrange.com
Tue Nov 20 23:59:57 UTC 2018

Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 14, 2018 at 9:25 PM Craig McQueen via samba
> <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
> >
> > I'm interested in using smbclient in an embedded Linux system, to copy
> files to a Windows file share. I don't need the entire samba suite. I'd like to
> get a smbclient compile that is reasonably small (less than 3 MB ideally).
> >
> > I'm building the embedded Linux system cross-compiled for an ARM based
> platform using Yocto. Yocto has support for building samba. But it is aimed at
> the complete samba suite, whereas I really only want smbclient. In the past
> I've been able to cut it down reasonably to just the smbclient. But in the last
> year, changes to samba and the Yocto samba package have made it more
> difficult to cut it down to a minimal smbclient.
> >
> > What would the samba team recommend for cross-compiling a small
> smbclient suitable for embedded Linux?
> >

> I'm not a member of that team. But is there some compelling reason you
> can't simply install "cifs-utils"?

I did look into that, and had some success. However, I found that sometimes unmount is slow (30-60s), and sometimes after apparently unmounting, the CIFS mount persisted being listed in the mount table. So I'd need to figure out what was happening there, before being able to use that reliably.

--
Craig McQueen