[Samba] getenv does not return any AD DOMAIN users or groups - ?nsswitch is not setup for Samba?

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Nov 19 14:52:53 UTC 2018

On Mon, 19 Nov 2018 14:29:21 +0000
"Barry D. Adkins via samba" <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> >What is the AD DC ?
>
> Windows 2012 Server DC's
>
> >If it is a Windows DC, is 'IDMU' installed (also known as 'services
> >for Unix) ?
>
> No, Services for Unix are not installed, but I did install the NIS
> for Unix for the AD Users & Computers app and that all works fine.

You can stop looking for 'ldb' files.

> did however find the Samba LDIF file for preparing a Directory Schema

Where did you find this and where have you imported this to and how.

> import file, and I did that.  That is how I was able to enter the
> uid's & gid's as I mentioned on my 2nd post last night. I considered
> installing Windows Services for Unix, but there was no guidance for
> this requirement in the wiki that seemed clear to me.

There wouldn't be, everything on the Samba wiki refers to Samba and
there is very little about Windows directly. You need to do an internet
search to find out what you need to install on your Windows 2012 DC and
how to do it.

>  Furthermore,
> when I searched for where to obtain the installation for Windows
> Services for Unix I found it was a CD/DVD with a Key on it, etc. and
> thus perhaps incorrectly assumed it must be purchased.  I'm not
> opposed to purchasing it but of course would prefer not to, but I'm
> going to have to find out where to purchase it.

The big point behind using a Samba AD DC is that you don't need to pay
for Server licences and CAL's for the clients.
You could try joining a Samba DC to the domain and then add the
yp30server.ldif, replication will then do the rest.

> >If it is a Samba DC, did you provision with '--use-rfc2307' ?
>
> It's not a Samba DC.  I first want to prove up just a standalone file
> server, spending time on that, and then implement with Gluster of
> some other file system that I can setup a replicated folder, share,
> or volume.  I determined to conquer that Samba DC later.

The Samba DC is the easiest part of that and will be the easiest way to
install the required IDMU framework.

Rowland