[Samba] getenv does not return any AD DOMAIN users or groups - ?nsswitch is not setup for Samba?

Barry D. Adkins Barry at daram.com
Mon Nov 19 14:29:21 UTC 2018

>What is the AD DC ?

Windows 2012 Server DC's

>If it is a Windows DC, is 'IDMU' installed (also known as 'services for
>Unix) ?

No, Services for Unix are not installed, but I did install the NIS for Unix for the AD Users & Computers app and that all works fine.
I did however find the Samba LDIF file for preparing a Directory Schema import file, and I did that.  That is how I was able to enter the uid's & gid's as I mentioned on my 2nd post last night.
I considered installing Windows Services for Unix, but there was no guidance for this requirement in the wiki that seemed clear to me.  Furthermore, when I searched for where to obtain the installation for Windows Services for Unix I found it was a CD/DVD with a Key on it, etc. and thus perhaps incorrectly assumed it must be purchased.  I'm not opposed to purchasing it but of course would prefer not to, but I'm going to have to find out where to purchase it.

>If it is a Samba DC, did you provision with '--use-rfc2307' ?

It's not a Samba DC.  I first want to prove up just a standalone file server, spending time on that, and then implement with Gluster of some other file system that I can setup a replicated folder, share, or volume.  I determined to conquer that Samba DC later.

If I must install Unix Services for Windows, I will get it somewhere and do that.

Barry