[Samba] Upgraded to 4.8 - forced to use winbindd - retro how to missing?

Richard Bollinger rabollinger at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 14:21:14 UTC 2018

Prior to 4.8, without winbind in the picture, a windows user named "rab",
for instance, could be authenticated by AD, but would assume the identity
of the Unix user "rab", with all of his Unix defined groups.

Of course, this is not full emulation of a Windows server experience, but
nonetheless it is the behavior we wanted and worked well in our environment
where every AD user who needed access to a Unix server had a corresponding
Unix ID assigned with that user's uid, gids, identical on all the Unix
servers.

That is the "legacy" behavior we desire.  Is it still possible to achieve
it with the current version of Samba?

Thanks for your help.