[Samba] Samba with OpenLDAP (not a DC)

dee heffem dheffem at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 17:04:49 UTC 2018

Hi,
I'm trying to setup a samba server on Ubuntu 16.04 following the docs[1]
on the samba wiki.

I have my users in OpenLDAP, along with their Posix attributes.
They can ssh/sftp to the Linux server and have valid *nix GIDs/UIDs.

I've added the 'passdb backend' and 'ldap suffix' lines into my
smb.conf[2] however I'm getting errors[3] in smb.log that the ldap
server "did not correctly init"

Googling that error message has not turned up anything helpful yet.
I do not need the samba server to be  a domain controller, nor do
I wish to join my samba server to an AD domain. I just want to
authenticate users from OpenLDAP as if they were local users so
they can mount a file share. Is this possible to do?

Thanks

[1] docs I'm using
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_%26_LDAP#Setting_up_PAM_and_NSS_to_use_LDAP

[2]
[global]
   workgroup = WORKGROUP
   server string = %h server (Samba, Ubuntu)
   dns proxy = no
   log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
   max log size = 1000
   syslog = 0
   server role = standalone server
   passdb backend = tdbsam
   obey pam restrictions = yes
   unix password sync = yes
   passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
   passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
   pam password change = yes
   map to guest = bad user
   usershare allow guests = yes

   passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://ldap1.my.org
   ldap suffix = dc=my,dc=org

[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   browseable = no
   path = /var/spool/samba
   printable = yes
   guest ok = no
   read only = yes
   create mask = 0700
[print$]
   comment = Printer Drivers
   path = /var/lib/samba/printers
   browseable = yes
   read only = yes
   guest ok = no

[Finance]
   comment     = Files for Finance
   path        = /mnt/finance/files
   browseable  = yes
   read only   = yes
   guest ok    = no

[3]
  pdb backend ldapsam:ldap://ldap1.my.org did not correctly init (error
was NT_STATUS_NO_MEMORY)
[2018/11/09 10:49:31.794461,  0]
../source3/passdb/secrets.c:365(fetch_ldap_pw)
  fetch_ldap_pw: neither ldap secret retrieved!
[2018/11/09 10:49:31.794526,  0]
../source3/passdb/pdb_ldap.c:6433(pdb_init_ldapsam_common)
  pdb_init_ldapsam_common: Failed to retrieve LDAP password from secrets.tdb
[2018/11/09 10:49:31.794546,  0]
../source3/passdb/pdb_interface.c:179(make_pdb_method_name)