[Samba] Samba 4 AD Join to Itself

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Nov 9 10:24:58 UTC 2018

On Fri, 9 Nov 2018 09:41:47 +0000
"Walsh, Tony (UK)" <tony.walsh at baesystems.com> wrote:

> Hi Rowland
> Thanks for the quick  response.
> I need to correct one error. I said samba 4.9 but it is samba 4.4.
>
> There is just one AD DC.
> Used samba-tool to set it up as AD DC. It has worked well for a few
> years serving 50+ Windows/Linux clients.
>
> However, if it is part of the domain should I be able to login to the
> server with a domain account? If I issue following command I get no
> such user
>
> [root at DC1]#   id domain\\user
> id: domain\administrator: no such user

No, as standard, without the correct packages installed or links
created, this is correct, the Unix OS doesn't known the AD users.
Also, you shouldn't use 'Administrator' on a Unix machine, you should
use 'root'.

Can I suggest you get another DC and upgrade Samba whilst doing so,
4.4.x is EOL as far as Samba is concerned.

You can get Centos 4.8.6 packages here:

http://www.ezplanet.net/xwiki/bin/view/EzPlanetRepo/

You could try running something like this on your DC:

authconfig --enablekrb5 --enablewinbindauth
--enablewinbindkrb5 --disablesssd --disablesssdauth --enableforcelegacy
--enablemkhomedir --update

and restart Samba

Rowland