[Samba] Avoiding constant HDD access

Albert Berger nbdspcl at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 09:35:04 UTC 2018

On Thu, Nov 08, 2018 at 08:48:53AM +0000, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Nov 2018 15:57:04 -0800
> Jeremy Allison via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>
> > so yes it's goint to look at smb.conf and check_log_size()
> > will do an fstat() on the open log file descriptor, so this
> > may explain it.
> >

> Yes, but it isn't doing a read, it is trying to do a write and then
> being cancelled.
> I have left 'pidstat' running overnight and there is no mention of
> 'smbd' in the output anywhere.
>
> If the OP is using 4.2-14, he is using Raspbian Jessie, I have advised
> the OP to upgrade to the latest Raspbian, this will get Samba 4.5.x
>
> Rowland

Can't it be writing to inode with updated access time after reading
the file or calling stat function? If atimes are not enabled on your
machine this accounts for your not observing HDD writes.

If this is the case, if there is a simple mechanism to turn off the
'housekeeping' or change the housekeeping interval?

/Al