[Samba] Avoiding constant HDD access

Albert Berger nbdspcl at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 23:34:50 UTC 2018

On Thu, Nov 08, 2018 at 06:12:40AM +1300, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Wed, 2018-11-07 at 15:19 +0300, Albert Berger via samba wrote:
>> > I tried in sequence to start Samba in following conditions:
> >
> > 1. With all clients disconnected from Samba server;
> > 2. As above + all shares disabled;
> > 3. As above + minimal smb.conf
> > 4. With totally empty smb.conf.
> >
> > In all cases those every-60-seconds writes persist.
> > What else can be done in this situation? Can it be
> > that some Debian/Raspbian patch causes this behaviour?
> > Should I try to compile Samba from upstream?
>
> You haven't said what version you are running.
>
> But in general, there are essentially no specific Debian patches, we
> work hard to keep those packages as upstream as possible, so unless
> Raspbian has done something really odd (unlikely) there isn't any point
> going upstream.
>
> Andrew Bartlett
> --
> Andrew Bartlett                       http://samba.org/~abartlet/
> Authentication Developer, Samba Team  http://samba.org
> Samba Developer, Catalyst IT          http://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba

Well, I mentioned that the output of "smbd --version" is "4.2.14-Debian". Is
this the package version? In Samba's source code there are mentions of
"housekeeping" activity: in the file process.c one can search for
SMBD_HOUSEKEEPING_INTERVAL and 'housekeeping_fn' which among other things
performs some operations with log files. Can this be the explanation?

/Al