[Samba] Windows 10 app crashing after fileserver update from Samba 4.2 to 4.5

Mgr. Peter Tuharsky tuharsky at misbb.sk
Tue Nov 6 13:25:33 UTC 2018

Thank You, Rowland, for Your answer

Dňa 6. 11. 2018 o 11:43 Rowland Penny via samba napísal(a):
> On Tue, 6 Nov 2018 11:00:26 +0100
> "Mgr. Peter Tuharsky via samba" <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> we have a network-hosted app for windows that is being executed from
>> smb share. The app worked well with Windows up to 7.
>>
>> Now, after upgrading clients to Windows 10, the app suddenly crashes
>> after some 1-2 hours of use (or idle). The vendor indicates, that the
>> problem may relate to reading the app's DLLs.
>>
>> The interesting thing is, that the problem only appears when the share
>> is hosted on Samba 4.5(.12) or Windows 2016 server.
>>
> So, it happens on Samba and Windows, this probably means it isn't a
> Samba problem, so I would go back to the app vendor and point this out.
The vendor knows about problem but so far was not able to fix it.
> It might also help if you could tell us what the app is, someone else
> might have faced the same problem and fixed it.

It is named ASPI (it is legal information system). The fresh client
version is located here:

https://static.wolterskluwer.sk/content/aspi_files/webdisk/klient/sk/setup.exe?v=1541408354.exe

> I probably should also point out that Samba 4.5.x is EOL as far as
> Samba is concerned.

I know, Rowland, but the Samba evolves so quickly that Debian cannot
keep up :-) I don't mind using older version as long as it is stable and
security supported. If needed, I could set up and test a newer version
somewhere.

Peter