[Samba] old bug with usershares of what?

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Nov 5 16:09:33 UTC 2018

On Mon, 5 Nov 2018 18:05:09 +0300
Илья Коскин via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> root:usershare
>
> пн, 5 нояб. 2018 г. в 14:44, Rowland Penny via samba
> <samba at lists.samba.org
> >:
>
> > On Mon, 5 Nov 2018 14:03:54 +0300
> > Илья Коскин via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
> >
> > > sorry for opening this thread again, but it looks like there is
> > > some bug in samba usershares.
> > > I successfully reproduced this bug in OpenBSD and in Fedora.
> > >
> > > Steps to reproduce:
> > > 1) Use default samba config.
> > > 2) Add options:
> > > usershare max shares = 5 (or else number)
> > > usershare allow guests = Yes
> > > 3) create usershares directory (personally i use directory path
> > > from testparm -v)
> > > 4) create group usershare and add target user to this group
> > > 5) chgrp usershares dir to usershare group
> > > 6) chown 1770 usershares dir
> > > 7) create usershare with: net usershare add
> > > share /home/user/share "" Everyone:F guest_ok=y
> > >
> > > 8) try to access server with any client like windows or linux and
> > > voila: [2018/11/05 13:53:02.185034,  0]
> > > ../source3/param/loadparm.c:3560(load_usershare_service)
> > >   load_usershare_service: stat of /var/samba/usershares failed.
> > > Permission denied

Apart from number 6 which I feel is a typo (chown should be chmod), you
seem to be doing everything correctly. The only problem I can see is
that you said you use the default usershares path. The default path
is /var/lib/samba/usershares, but the error message has
/var/samba/usershares, which are you using ?

Rowland