[Samba] DNS not running

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed May 30 13:40:57 UTC 2018

On Wed, 30 May 2018 08:17:44 -0500
<rschiefer at suturehealth.com> wrote:

> # Global parameters
> [global]
>         workgroup = acme
>         realm = acme.com
>         netbios name = DC-1
>         server role = active directory domain controller

OK, so you are running Samba as a DC

>         server services = dns, dnsupdate, drepl, kcc, kdc, ldap,
> cldap, nbt, drepl, wrepl, rpc, s3fs, winbindd allow dns updates =

That line is totally mixed up (not really sure if this is a problem)
and there is something missing 'ntp_signd', As you don't need that line
on a DC using the internal dns server, I suggest you remove it and see
if that helps.

Normally the 'server services' line only exists on a DC that is using
the Bind9 dns server and looks like this:

server services = s3fs, rpc, nbt, wrepl, ldap, cldap, kdc, drepl,
 winbindd, ntp_signd, kcc, dnsupdate

Or this:

server services = -dns

So, as you seem to be using the internal dns, how did you get the line ?
Did you try Bind9 at one time and if so how did you change back ?

Rowland