[Samba] Q: Samba4 AD DC & small office file sharing

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed May 30 09:44:39 UTC 2018

On Wed, 30 May 2018 11:14:04 +0200
Viktor Trojanovic <viktor at troja.ch> wrote:

> On 30 May 2018 at 10:21, Rowland Penny via samba
> <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 30 May 2018 09:57:12 +0200
> > Marco Gaiarin via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
> >
> > > Mandi! Andrew Bartlett via samba
> > >   In chel di` si favelave...

> > > I add a magic word. 'Virtualization'. ;-)
> > >
> > > Even on smaller setup, instead of installing samba directly on
> > > bare metal could be useful and not too much complicated
> > > installing a virtualization system (Proxmox?) and fire up two VM,
> > > one as DC and one as DM.
> > >

> > Lets be honest here, if you are in a small office and the computer
> > you are planning to install Samba as a DC on, is capable of also
> > running some form of VM with a fileserver in it, then it is also
> > probably capable of just running the DC as a fileserver. Less to
> > setup and maintain.
> >
> > Rowland
> >

> I'm still going to add containerization to the picture. Yes, more to
> setup and (a bit) more to maintain but very soft on resources. And if
> your directory/company gets bigger, it's as easy as 1-2-3 to just
> move the DC or fileserver container to a bigger server, physical or
> virtual.
>
> Viktor

We are talking about a DC here, if you feel you need the 'fileserver'
portion moved to a separate machine, this is very easy, just create a
new Unix domain member and rsync the data to this. If you feel you need
another DC, just add one.

When you add any complexity, someone has to maintain it and, in a small
office, this is usually whoever gets nominated.

Rowland