[Samba] Scripting the next UID/GID number to use

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed May 30 09:00:33 UTC 2018

On Wed, 30 May 2018 10:33:55 +0200
Marco Gaiarin via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Mandi! Rowland Penny via samba
>   In chel di` si favelave...
>
> > > So, in AD LDAP lingo, a 'modify' is not atomic, and a 'delete/add'
> > > yes?
>
> Ahem, i meant:
>
>  So, in AD LDAP lingo, a 'replace' is not atomic, and a 'delete/add'
>  yes?
>

> > Did you see my reply to what Andrew posted ?
> > I personally do not think that the above will actually work.
>
> Andrew proposed add -> delete, you proposed delete -> add: i'm simply
> asking why these are more 'atomic' that a 'replace'...

OK, from my understanding.

If you just do a 'replace' it will do just that, it will replace the
attribute value, even if something has managed to get in before you and
changed it, so you could 'replace' the value with the same value.

If you 'delete' the old value first and it isn't the value you think it
is, the delete will fail and the entire update will fail.
if you 'add' a new value and the 'delete' failed, the 'add' will fail
because the attribute is singled valued and already exists.

Rowland