[Samba] Why am I getting login failures for domain members?

Mark Foley mfoley at ohprs.org
Tue May 29 13:27:36 UTC 2018

Every so often I get a message in /var/log/samba/log.samba as follows:

2018/05/26 13:44:25.172415, 2] authentication for user [HPRS/LABRAT$] FAILED with error NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD

Normally, I get this when a user types in the wrong password.  However, in this case LABRAT$ is
not a user but rather a Linux domain member computer.  This happens periodically on every Linux
domain member on the domain.

Why? Is it a problem? Is there something I can do to fix this?

--Mark