[Samba] PAM only and Kerberos...

Marco Gaiarin gaio at sv.lnf.it
Mon May 28 13:23:42 UTC 2018

In my old Samba/NT/OpenLDAP domains i was used to setup, on some
specific hosts/VM, a simple authentication scheme, so i simply create
locally (eg 'adduser') some users, and then i setupped only PAM part
of ldap.

Seems to me now, on Samba/AD, to use Kerberos. And seems also TOO easy!

I've simply installed 'libpam-krb5', reply to the debconfig question
wit the AD/Kerberos domain/realm and... voilĂ , works as expected. Cool!
;-)

But, lacking some docs on samba wiki, i've some question more:

a) i suppose that Kerberos use DNS to resolve servers; in a complex
 setup there's some way to have kerberos use the servers from the same
 site?

b) i use the same setup in firewalls, that have no knowledge of
 internal DNS. There's some way to setup kerberos authentication with
'no DNS'?! EG, putting some info on /etc/hosts?!

Thanks.

  Polo FVG   -   Via della BontĂ , 7 - 33078   -   San Vito al Tagliamento (PN)