[Samba] Q: Samba4 AD DC & small office file sharing

Robert Marcano robert at marcanoonline.com
Fri May 25 18:27:27 UTC 2018

On 05/25/2018 12:54 PM, Marco Shmerykowsky PE via samba wrote:
> For my current small office configuration, the machine serving
> as a NT4 Style PDC is also the main file server.  Works fine.
>
> In reading up on creating an updated configuration, I see The Samba
> Wiki states the following:
>
> "The Samba AD DC is able to provide file shares, just like all other
> installation modes. However, the Samba team does not recommend using a
> DC as a file server"
>
> Does this mean that another machine should be added to serve solely
> as the DC or am I misreading it.  If it's yet another machine, is
> this truly required for a small setup?

For very small offices, I am installing a docker container running the
Samba AD server and on the host I run a Samba server joined to that AD
domain. The trick is to add two network interfaces (virtual is ok) to
the server, run Docker (or equivalent, runc, rkit..etc.) where the
containers runs tied to one host interface and the other is for the host
Samba (the domain joined server)