[Samba] weird messages in logs

Emmanuel Florac eflorac at intellique.com
Fri May 25 15:39:24 UTC 2018

Hi everyone,

I have the exact same problem as this:

But the Samba version is different and much newer (Debian
Wheezy 2:4.1.17+dfsg-1~bpo70+1). B

asically many errors appear about non existing usershares. These fake
usershares are just the user name, but truncated of the last character.

   process_usershare_file: stat of /var/lib/samba/usershares/netlogo
   failed. No such file or directory

There are so many messages that the server performance drops
dramatically!

Our friend L.P.H. van Belle (who lurks here, I know) did an answer
to this bug report that I don't completely understand, though. So this
isn't a bug, alright. What is causing this? Are the client machines
trying to access these shares, or create it?

I don't understand either (or find in the documentation) how to disable
these usershares. Any help and explanation appreciated.